Sunday, June 20, 2010

Thing #4- Homework???

One of the posts I read was by a teacher named Mr. Meyer about why he doesn't assign homework. Before I even clicked on it, I knew I would disagree with it. While he has some VERY valid points that I have experienced myself in my own classroom, I still think homework can be a critical and beneficial tool for teachers. Homework is about PRACTICE. Classwork is for teaching the concepts and should be used as an assessment tool for teachers to judge how well their students are learning the concepts. A typical lesson in my classroom consists of note-taking (not always in the form of writing, sometimes a Promethean flipchart or video), then classwork in the I do, We do, You do format. I use the "You do" problems to see which students "get it" and which don't. Homework is assigned after that, and the homework is designed to give students practice on the types of problems. If the student has time for three "You Do" problems in my class and then doesn't see the concept again until 24 hours later when they come back to math class, they will forget it! I do not assign homework unless I am confident that enough of my students get it that the practice will be helpful. Yes, I have those kids who don't do it. Yes, I have cheaters and students who do the homework half-way hoping to get some kind of credit. BUT, I usually only have about one or two "repeat offenders" and for those students the problem lies in their motivation. Homework or no homework, those students aren't going to give 100% until that other problem is addressed. For the other 97% of my students, I am confident that homework is a key player in their success on standardized tests and in math class in general. Call me old school, but homework WORKS!

4 comments:

  1. I have gone back and forth for years on the subject of homework--possibly because I teach disabled learners. Since state testing has come along, I see more acceptance in the idea of homework among the students and their parents. My students' skills are improving a little every year and with that improvement, the parents are beginning to have hope that their child CAN learn. Each year I give more homework and next year it may be a lot more like a regular ed. classroom than it has been in past years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is easier, yet still challenging to give homework in middle school than it is in high school. Last year I taught Algebra one, and the majority of my students did not complete their homework. I think homework should be given, but to extend or preface what the next lesson will be over, rather than practice. I think the practice should be in the classroom, so we can catch misunderstandings/questions our students have before they leave with the wrong or confused way in mind. I know this can be very challenging especially with freshman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ms.Balconi, I agree that practice should be in the classroom. Do you really want students practicing wrong at home?
    I've also heard the argument that homework is an opportunity for parents to help their children. What if the parent is illiterate or doesn't have the capacity to help with that subject?
    You also have to consider what other responsibilies students have at home. Unfortunately, many of our students come from homes where they are the primary caretakers in the afternoon and at night. If they are busy taking care of siblings and cooking or cleaning do they have time to also sit down and do some extra homework?
    Children are in school sometimes more hours than they are at home (awake). I think we should do the teaching at school and let kids be kids at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think homework for the sake of homework doesn't work, but if you need students to "practice" something they have learned in the classroom, that is okay. You should be able to know if a kid "gets it" or not in a few problems instead of 50! It's a fine line to walk, but kids need to learn that learning doesn't stop when the bell rings! :)

    ReplyDelete