Sunday, June 27, 2010

Thing #8- Classroom Wikis

One of the first wiki's I looked at was the Math 12V Outcome Wiki. I think if I were to set up a wiki, mine would look very similar to this, at least in format. On the home page, you can click on each Unit to access the standards for that unit. When you click on an individual standard, you are taken to a page explaining the standard and giving examples. I really like this idea! I think it would be most useful for homework, studying, and PARENTS. How often do parents try to help their child with homework, but they don't know what the student has learned?? A class wiki like this one would allow parents to click on a standard and see examples that could help them learn or review the concept to be able to help their child.

Another wiki I viewed was the Salute to Seuss Wiki. This wiki was mainly used to share ideas across classrooms. I think this would be a great idea for teachers. We don't always have hours in the day to sit and discuss things that could be included on a wiki. It would start out as a school wide project, but would hopefully grow from there. Teachers could post content, lessons, and project ideas in one place. It would really help in getting all content teachers in each area teaching the same lessons if they don't already. It could also be a great resource for cross-curriculum projects or even cross-grade level projects!

The Schools Then Wiki was very simple with only one page instead of several pages. It was great because all the information was in one place, but I definitely think it could be expanded and organized for easier navigation. Also, I would have enjoyed seeing school names and years on the posts, so I wish they would have asked their visitors to post that information. This project was a great idea, but I think I would have taken it MUCH further!

I didn't know much about wikis before this "thing," but I really like what I have learned about them so far. I think they are a great tool for teachers to post resources and lesson plans all in one place without having to meet face to face. One resource I don't have enough of is TIME, and I think wikis could save us time! I also think they could be a valuable tool for teachers to reach out to students and parents by posting lessons or examples online for 24 hour access.

1 comment:

  1. Good ideas on these wikis. Your TIME will be taken up in the beginning to create the wiki, but on the back side, you will save time and be more productive, I think.

    ReplyDelete