Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Thing #14- Play time!

The first tool I played with was 30 Boxes. I have an obsession with calendars. I write EVERYTHING in my calendar: big events, small events, lunches- ha! I really liked it. I don't think I'm ready to give up my desk and purse calendars quite yet, but I did see lots of uses for this type of calendar in the classroom. Since it is updated online, I think it could be useful to use sort of like a wiki where a team of educators can update the calendar with meetings, lessons, etc. as they see fit. Also, I think it could be useful to inform parents of upcoming activities by inviting them as buddies so they could view the calendar or posting the calendar link on a class blog. It also has a status option to let students or parents (or just friends) any upcoming events or important information. I only added a few things so far, but here is a link to my calendar! Also, since it's online, it's pretty hard to lose- a major plus! :)

Some of my favorite things about 30 Boxes:
  • I can add my to-do list to my Google Reader...sweet!! :)
  • I can tag my entries to make categories (weddings, birthdays, school, fun)
  • I can get an email each day with a "run-down" of things going on
  • OR I can just get email reminders for specific events

I also played around with Wordle. I made a wordle using this blog. You can view it here. I really like that you can post your wordle for anyone to see. It was cool looking at the different word clouds that had been posted!


I also think PollDaddy is really cool! I added a simple and fun poll above to my blog, so you can check it out and let me know what you think! If your answer is not there, you can even add your own! I LOVE the fact that I can put a poll on a blog or website and get feedback- how cool for teachers and parents to communicate quickly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment