Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Thing #20- Google Docs

I guess I have been using Google Docs for quite a while and didn't realize it! Haha!

Here is the document I created. I used a sample picture, but I would really like to get one math related or even one of the front of our school or classroom and use this document for parents to view when school starts. I will link it to my Moodle, which you can find here. Right now there is a password on the 7th grade Math moodle because we used it for a quiz at the end of the year, but after updating it, we will remove the password and my Google document will be available under my class for students and parents to view.

Three ways I can use Google docs/spreadsheets/presentations in my classroom:

1. Google Docs- EASY way for students and parents to see information! Due to the limited availability of Internet to some of my students, I would still send home a paper version, but I would make certain that parents knew where to find an online version so that the excuse "I lost it..." won't apply anymore! :)

2. Spreadsheets- I am the cheer coach at my school. I know there are times that the girls and myself need to get ahold of each other. I have made a spreadsheet (not on Google, but in Excel, you know, the "old school" print it out and copy it? ha!) of each girl and myself and cell and home phone numbers. However, I am almost certain 3/4 of the have lost it by now AND many of them have changed numbers or did not give me every number available to call them. By setting up a Google Spreadsheet, the girls and myself can update it with numbers and contact information anywhere at anytime! Also, there isn't any fear of losing it since it is at our fingertips online. Because this document would include contact information for students, I would definitely have to make it private and add the girls as viewers and users by email addresses!

3. Presentations- WOW! What a great way to do a "group project" without using tons of classtime. Instead of one student having to do all of a presentation or saving to a flash drive or emailing back and forth, all group members can collectively and collaboratively work on a presentation together! I love this feature! It really would have saved me some headaches in college had I known about it! Haha!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Make sure you share your documents so we can see them when we click on the link. I tried both of my accounts and couldn't see your doc and I wouldn't want the kiddos to get frustrated if it's not available to them....

    ReplyDelete