Thursday, July 1, 2010

Thing #11- Flickr

I have never really explored or used Flickr before today. I really liked the option to search within CC guidelines because it saved me lots of time and confusion! I searched for several different topics, but I saved photos for the topic of Similar Figures and Congruent Figures. My students usually have trouble with these concepts because they get them confused and mix them up. I would like to use pictures to show students the meanings of similar and congruent so that it will stick with them.

For example, I could use this photo to show similar figures:

Multiplication by Geometry by SputSoft

I searched for many other topics, and it took me a while to get the hang of the tags. There are certain tags that did not produce the results I wanted, so I had to modify the search term to be more specific. I also had better luck with searching using the tags only instead of searching all text.

I definitely think Flickr is useful to educators, especially given the ease with which we can search photos that are okay for us to use. I really think this will be helpful when teaching vocabulary, particularly new vocabulary words or words that are difficult and very abstract. I also think this tool will be extremely helpful in teaching vocabulary to English Language Learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment